Happy summer! It is officially here and I am curious to learn what it means to you? The swing of a screen door, smell of fresh cut grass, the sound of an ice cream truck jingle? My own mind is flooded with so many memories from pool hopping, dinners on the patio, and weekends at the beach. Of all these memories the last day of school for the year was always very special. I recall one in particular when I was nine. My Mom allowed us to invite several friends over and an afternoon of complete bliss pursued which included multiple slides down the hill on the slip and slide, homemade pizza, games on the swing set, and loads of laughter. Best of all it was that feeling of freedom where boundaries of time did not exist. As an adult, I find summer passes all too quickly! Without fail this season always brings out the kid in me. I savor my weekends at the beach with my favorite book, outdoor concerts, and Monday night’s in Bryant Park watching my favorite films (when friends join, we pack a picnic!). As time progresses I realize that by embracing these simple pleasures in life the feeling of freedom is very real and present in the current moment. Although the best part is I am adding to the memories of that little girl sliding down the slip and slide and savoring her Mom’s homemade pizza.
To accompany this memory, I am including a recipe for blueberry cupcakes. These cupcakes have been a big hit at the many summer gatherings that I have attended over the years. I hope your family and friends enjoy them as much as my crew does!
Kristina Lucia xoxo
Blueberry Cupcakes Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR COOKIES:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of white sugar
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 tablespoons of butter (margarine) softened/ melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups of blueberries
- 2 ½ sticks of butter (margarine)
- 6 cups of confectioner (powdered) sugar
· 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line cupcake pans with liners.
- Mix flour and all dry ingredients into a bowel and set aside.
- In stand mixer, beat butter and gradually add eggs. Once combined, add yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract to the batter.
- Gradually add dry ingredients, to this mixture. Lastly, mix the blueberries into the batter.
- Divide mixture evenly into the cupcake pans.
- Bake the cupcakes for about 20-25 minutes.
- Let the cupcakes cool and apply the frosting (see directions below).
- Eat and enjoy with loved ones J
Directions for Frosting
- Beat the butter in a standing mixer.
- Gradually add sugar and milk until fully combined.
3. Apply to cupcakes!